Friday, May 30, 2003

Hey wow! Amy Anne! Yay! This site has been seriously lacking the input of a diva, let me tell you. We've gotten decidedly less glamorous, talking about books and conspiracy theories and what we've been eating at lunch time. Quick - tell us about your new clothes or something!
In the meantime, I'm going to add a book to KLJ's discussion - Ask Dr. Mueller, the collected writings of Cookie Mueller. Though not technically a comedian, Cookie was an actress in several of John Waters' early films and does write with a flair for humor. The lovely Irina (ICBINC art designer) lent me this book and I tore through it. Part autobiography, part travel narrative, part short fiction, part art criticism and part advice column - the book makes you feel that you don't need money or connections to travel the world, be a film star or have dashing adventures. (This idea is what keeps me afloat many days, so I loved it.) It's also a rare glimpse into the behind-the-scenes world of Pink Flamingos, Female Trouble and the real people in Waters' outrageous movies. Should you come across it, do not hesitate to read it cover to cover.

No comments: