Tuesday, November 25, 2003

I FUCKING HATE ROCKSTARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait, let me reinstate that, I don't hate all rock stars, I hate wanna be rockstars, and the pretentious asshole ones, the rest I love. BUT last night I had a certain interview, with a certain up and coming NY band, signed on a certain major label...a band I saw 5 months ago and chatted up a bit and were super cool then, I had the interview with them last night in San Fran.

So it goes something like this, I contacted their British Accented Touring Manager (still not sure if it was real or faux yet) who was incredibly nice, I got free drinks, gotta go backstage and chill with the 3 bands, then came the interview time. Mind you I typically prefer doing interviews BEFORE the band play therefore avoiding any under the influence challenges we'll face, but they were only able to schedule my interview after the show. So I hesitantly agreed. One of the guys in the band (the nice-sober one) led me to corner where the other three members were, drinks lined up for all, looking high and stoned, tired and just crazy. I knew as soon as I approached them, this is the type of interview I knew one day I was going to have that would be a challenge, the interview I dreaded. But I bit my lip, took the last gulp of my vodka martini and proceeded to sit on the couch right in between rock star "A" and "B" and immediately hit the red record button on my recorder.

They were a combination of the combined attitudes of drunk, stoned, obnoxious, perverted, loud, vague and well, just very rock star. I decided I was going to ask them all the non-music related question, the stupidest ones just to mess with them, so I directed my first question to the lead singer who is always compared to playing/ looking like Mich Jagger: "so what is the staple food you must have when touring" he: "I don't eat" which of course didn't surprise me looking at his skinny assless ASS! They continued to talk out of place, say the stupidest things and just whine, they have a major label, a world tour, a private bus, alcohol, drugs, (however there wasn't a groupie in sight last night which kinda surprised me) and a contract and are whining about how they don't like to tour. I stuck around for about half an hour.

After 3 of the 4 members passed out on the couch next to me I was finished speaking to the last alert member in his ruffly polka dot shirt and purple velveteen pantsuit, and once I clicked off the recorder I said, "there aren't you just thrilled it's over? Was it that bad?" and he sincerely said "I'm sorry, were all just very honest and well, I'm burned out from touring and I miss everyone back home and I just wanna be back home" I think that was the most honest answer out of all I received the whole night getting the feeling they were sick of interviews asking about their favorite place to tour when all in they just wanted to play NY. I left just feeling kinda...dirty? I felt sorry for them for some of the things I heard and saw, even though I started pissed off at them, I stuck it out, when the obvious choice might have been to say 'fuck off' and leave, but I stayed till the boys passed out and finally got a little truth in the end. I fee like I experienced a sort of new realization or water shed as a fringe non-pro journalist, I guess. I do about 3 bands interviews a month and this was the most interesting ever and taught me a lot.

All in all, I left after seeing their liquored up non day job rock star touring lifestyle thinking, "One day I wanna be a drunk strung out performer who sits backstage to get interviewed by some non Rolling Stone journalist and just say stupid things" one day right? Maybe.....well until I see you rock stars next time (their name still goes unwritten, unless you ask me) however I'll post their picture here in case you recognize them.

Then I got a call from the PR guy in NY from Capitol Records asking me how the interview went.....ouch! Wanna know how they are REALLY spending the $$$ your giving them?

much love and cocaine;
Amber

p.s. All in all, I met Cyril Jordan backstage last night and AGAIN (2nd show night in a row) saw the drummer from AFI and all the Donna's were there last night. Glee.


No comments: